About Team River Runner
Founded in 2004 at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, we now offer weekly paddling sessions in more than 60 locations across the nation. Team River Runner (TRR) is more than an adaptive sports program; it is an opportunity for veterans, their family members, and everyone in the community to participate It’s an opportunity to enjoy nature and realize its social, physical, and emotional benefits, whether it’s tackling whitewater rapids or paddling on peaceful flat-water. It’s an environment that facilitates connection, allowing veterans to reunite with their families and forge relationships with those who have endured similar pain. TRR creates purpose and community service. Our veterans are on the river to recovery.
TRR provides all boats, outfitting, safety gear, instruction, transportation, food and lodging for the participants and the volunteers through the generosity of their donors and the subsidies from their providers.
- Holds regular pool or open water sessions of approximately 2-3 hours each. Some sites offer multiple sessions per week;
- Has a quarterly local trip and twice a year family days;
- Encourages qualified paddlers from any site to participate in the national trips offered to Colorado, Idaho and the Caribbean.
At each event, a paddler gets a chance, in a safe environment, to:
- Get physical exercise outside the boredom of the hospital;
- Learn a potentially brand new skill, rather than struggle with a skill he used to be an expert at;
- Overcome emotional roadblocks left by post traumatic stress and traumatic brain injury;
- Practice basic cognitive sequencing by following small sets of instructions;
- Bring his family into a new recreational hobby
- Have fun!!
TRR is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization incorporated in the state of Maryland.
Federal Tax Exempt ID # 20-3838651
Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) # 36703